Powered by MOMENTUM MEDIA
subscribe to our newsletter

Over 80% of credit managers not checking for fraud: report

The Veda National Credit Managers Survey 2016 has revealed some alarming findings about the status of credit management in Australian organisations.

The 2016 survey had a special focus on the prevalence of fraud and its management by respondents, due to the increasing sophistication of cyber threats.

“One of the most alarming findings in this year’s survey was that only one in five credit managers performed a fraud assessment in addition to a credit check and that 40 per cent of respondents were unable to determine whether overdue debt was due to fraud,” Veda’s general manager, commercial risk, Neil Shilbury said.

According to the report, 81 per cent of credit managers indicated that they did not perform a fraud assessment in addition to credit checks. Of the remaining 19 per cent who did perform a fraud assessment, the most common form of check was to determine whether the representative was in fact a director of the company in question (53 per cent).

Mr Shilbury said Veda has actually seen growth in business credit demand in the past six months, which he sees as a reflection of a number of factors in the Australian economy such as the unemployment rate, which has fallen below 6 per cent, and Reserve Bank cuts to the cash rate, which is at an all-time low of 1.5 per cent.

Advertisement
Advertisement

"In response to their more cautious outlook, credit managers have tightened their credit policies, with 26 per cent of participants reducing their credit limits (compared to 16 per cent in 2015) and 64 per cent of respondents increasing collection activity (compared to 70 per cent in 2015)," he said. 

The report highlighted that over the next six months, 43 per cent of credit managers have indicated they plan on enforcing stricter lending credit criteria and the majority of respondents expect to further increase or tighten collections activity.

“The survey also revealed credit managers’ views on the future of the industry. More than half of respondents indicated that automation, better use of data and generally improving processes would be most effective in improving credit management in the future,” Mr Shilbury said.

The majority of the 205 credit managers who participated in the 2016 survey were from the manufacturing, finance and insurance, construction, and wholesale trade industries.

[Related: Banks hurting after opening doors to 'anything and everything']

PROMOTED CONTENT


Over 80% of credit managers not checking for fraud: report
mortgagebusiness

Latest News

The chief of Australia’s largest bank has said lenders should act pre-emptively and shift their floor rates for mortgage serviceability am...

Total household wealth reached a high of $13.4 trillion in the June quarter, primarily due to rising property prices, according to the Aust...

The property exchange settlement platform has been granted approval to establish an Electronic Lodgement Network in the ACT.  ...

Join Australia's most informed brokers

Do you know which lenders are providing brokers and their customers with the best service?

Use this monthly data to make informed decisions about which lenders to use. Simply contribute to the survey and we'll send you the results directly to your inbox - completely free!

How long do you think it should take to discharge a mortgage?

Website Notifications

Get notifications in real-time for staying up to date with content that matters to you.