Powered by MOMENTUM MEDIA
realestatebusiness logo

Subscribe to our newsletter

Brighten named Inclusive Employer

Brighten Home Loans has been named an Inclusive Employer by not-for-profit Diversity Council Australia, after reaching 41.4 per cent female representation in its leadership.

The non-bank lender has gained the accreditation off the back of Diversity Council Australia’s national survey of workplace inclusion ([email protected] Index), which has tracked diversity across companies.

Brighten had recorded a 70 per cent rise in female team members across the group, with more than half (56.3 per cent) of employees now identifying as women.

The company’s global team has grown by 66 per cent year-on-year, which reportedly allowed for new leadership roles within the group.

As a result, women now account for 41.4 per cent of the company’s leadership team.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Brighten managing director Scott Kelly stated the group had achieved a diverse workplace by natural evolution, rather than trying to manufacture the outcome.

“Brighten is committed to advocating for diversity and equality. We support, respect and value the diversity of our people and stakeholders,” he said.

Suzanne Hutchinson, HR director for Brighten, added not a single staff member who participated in the index had reported their team was non-inclusive, which was lower than the Australian workforce benchmark at 12 per cent.

“An inclusive organisation is defined as one in which employees trust their organisation to treat them fairly, feel diversity is valued and respected, and report that top leaders demonstrate a visible genuine commitment to diversity and inclusion,” Ms Hutchinson said.

“That is exactly how we want employees to feel, and I’m really glad that the index results reflect the same.”

Mr Kelly is also a pay equity ambassador aiming to close the gender pay gap, as appointed by the government’s Workplace Gender Equality Agency (WGEA).

As recorded by the WGEA, the financial and insurance services industry currently has a full-time gender pay gap of 27.5 per cent, a fair way above the overall national average across sectors of 20.1 per cent.

Around 54.3 per cent of the workforce in the industry are women, while the remaining 45.7 per cent are men, but females only represent 10.3 per cent of the sector’s chief executives and 30.8 per cent of its key management personnel. Similarly, 27 per cent of board directors in financial and insurance services are female.

[Related: Winners of the 2021 Women in Finance Awards unveiled]

Brighten named Inclusive Employer
mortgagebusiness

Latest News

The increasing sophistication of identity fraud will result in the death of video and audio identity verification by the end of this decade,...

The Bank of England has removed the affordability buffer for British borrowers this month in a bid to remove some barriers to lending as co...

The non-bank group has announced it will sell its insurance business, Hallmark, which would inject $20 million into its core business. ...

VIEW ALL

Join Australia's most informed brokers

Do you know which lenders are providing brokers and their customers with the best service?

Use this monthly data to make informed decisions about which lenders to use. Simply contribute to the survey and we'll send you the results directly to your inbox - completely free!

Do you think the new NSW property tax will help or hinder first home buyers?

Website Notifications

Get notifications in real-time for staying up to date with content that matters to you.